Bug Zappers are essentially devices that are designed to kill the mosquitos by electrocution. Often, these devices utilize some sort of allure to attract the insects causing them to die. It is a method to get rid of the pests that require electric voltage. The device to function requires a power source and depending upon the model, it can be supplied using a power cord or use the energy stored in electric cells such as batteries. Usually, these zappers use UV rays to lure the insect, although some may be more affiliated to carbon dioxide or heat. Most of the bug zappers are better suited for exterior while some can also be used for indoor use. It is almost like giving an invitation to the mosquitos in your home for a death trap.
Flowtron Bug Zappers:
The flowtron bug zapper is perhaps the most popular and sought after insect zapper. With almost a century of experience, the company develops and manufactures zappers for various locations. The bug zapper here presents you an efficient way of getting rid of mosquitos in large outdoor spaces and it can cover up to 0.5 acres by luring the flying insects into the trap area of the zapper and thereby killing them by the electricity. It is equipped with UV rays at 15 watts of electricity, thereby effectively killing any insect that comes close to the electrified grid.
Pros and Cons:
- It runs on 15 watts of electricity, thereby not burdening your electricity bills.
- It is waterproof and made up of very durable material and can sustain in most seasons and harsh weather conditions.
- Covers an expansive area of 0.5 acres for large grounds.
- It doesn’t require much cleaning as the insects will fall through the grid and then back on the ground.
- It can also double as regular lighting purpose.
- Running on electricity, it needs to be plugged all the time.
- Can be used indoors partially but mostly outdoors.
- Also, it doesn’t have an insect collecting tray, which can be sort of an inconvenience.
Also, the flowtron bug zappers are curated for their use and inspected on various parameters. Hence, with a wide range of options, it needs careful observation and insights to find the best one.
- Power supply: The bug zappers here are either available with constant power supply requirement and also the ones with renewable energy source or batteries. Also, the solar and battery-backed devices are as efficient as the ones that are plugged in the wall. As some of these can also be operated on solar power or batteries, it can then be used in remote areas where there is an inadequate supply of power.
- Maintenance: Some of these electric zappers are easy to maintain the understanding that you don’t have any more burden. Also, some of them are equipped with insect trays that can be a value added addition to collect all the insects and be able to dispose of them.
Other attributes also have to be taken into consideration such as indoor or outdoor use, its durability, the pheromone it uses and other things.